Saturday, March 21, 2009

Skating for Myles

Last night Mike and I went to a fundraiser for Myles Krick, a little boy with a malignant brain tumor. I went along for the good cause, but wound up having a great time. The event started off with an open skate, dinner of grilled hamburgers and hotdogs, then a game between casually formed teams of RMGCSA vs. Fire/Police. Mike's a member of the Rocky Mountain Golf Course Superintendent Association, as is Myles father. I was amazed at the turnout, the place was packed. Usually watching Mike play hockey is a cold (VERY cold) and lonely event, but last night I met a delightful mother of four boys that kept me company. And if I hadn't met her, I wouldn't know that number 8 on the Fire/Police team was a 73 year old man named Johny Lightning. I hope Mike is still well enough to play hockey in his seventies.

It was really inspiring to see how many people turned out to help this little boy. If you're feeling generous today, you can make a donation at his webpage, myleskrick.com

I wish I had a picture of Mike in his hockey gear, but he took the camera with him when he left for the locker room. Shucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment